It’s long been thought that nootropics or the “limitless” drug was used in areas like Silicon Valley, Wall Street, and other places where high performance is required. Increasingly, there seems to a large crowd to be made that microdosing psychedelics are becoming a large part of personal growth and success for many businesspeople and entrepreneurs.
Microdosing psychedelics (taking sub-perceptual doses) such as LSD can improve the execution of work and allow individuals to think in a more creative fashion. There is a different element to psychedelics than just to provide a mystical high as many people think.
At higher doses, psychedelics such as LSD and psilocybin induce an intensely different state of consciousness—causing hallucinations, altered thinking, and even ego death in some cases. When taken in a much lower dosage than normal ranges however, you can get some of the sub-perceptual effects such as increased focus and enhanced creativity, without the intense changes in thinking and consciousness.
History on Psychedelics
Michael Pollan wrote an article called, “The Trip Treatment of Psilocybin” about the treatment of anxiety, depression, and addiction with psychedelics.
The famed author Tim Ferris talks about experimentation with LSD, ayahuasca, and mushrooms has also been a proponent of experimentation with psychedelics. “The billionaires I know, almost without exception, use hallucinogens on a regular basis. They’re trying to be very disruptive and look at the problems in the world … and ask completely new questions.”
Joe Rogan, the UFC host and comedian also talks about psychedelics a lot on his podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience and Aldous Huxley wrote the famous book, “The Doors of Perception”, which details his experience with mescaline.
Benefits of Microdosing Psychedelics
The majority of psychedelic users that microdose experience a variety of benefits including seeing things from a different perspectives as far as many of their strengths and weaknesses. There is a consensus that also induces an additional sense of awareness of various habits and patterns that they users can recognize and reverse. In general, it improves the feeling of connectedness with people and things resulting in greater empathy.
Cognitive benefits from microdosing also include an increase in problem-solving capability. In 1966 Dr. Fadmin, a famous researcher of LSD since before it was made illegal in 1966, tested LSD on 27 male patients who were actively working on a professional problem for at least 3 months and had a real will to solve it. Dr. Fadiman took the subjects to a facility to be tested under the influence of 200mg of mescaline, a powerful psychedelic substance derived from the peyote cactus. The result of that test was that a dozen participants found the breakthough solution for their problem.
Eric Clough, an architect in 1970 also determined that microdosing LSD heightened perceptivity and creativity in architects. Creativity can be used not only for artists and musicians but for many contexts especially when you need to think outside the box and see things from another perspective.
Some of the benefits and experiences I’ve gathered from experimenting with microdosing LSD as well as other anecdotal reports:
- More energy, without the crash that comes with caffeine. Quite similar to modafinil in that it makes you more awake.
- Great mood throughout the day, microdosing psychedelics have the tendency to eradicate depression.
- Being able to push myself harder in the gym.
- Increased focus and “flow” when doing work.
- Increased empathy and ability to connect with others.
- Music sounds much better and can influence your thinking more greatly.
- Enhanced ability to think outside the box and creatively.
- Far greater awareness throughout the day. Tendency to notice or marvel at small things that you previously weren’t aware of before.
The Power of Psychedelics for Depression and Anxiety
Psychedelics like psilocybin were tested at N.Y.U. with patients suffering with cancer. It can relieve a patient’s anxiety and provide an overall better sense of well-being. The government spent a great deal of money conducting over a hundred studies on LSD.
It’s been thought that microdosing Microdosing psychedelics also increases your mood and happiness level by acting on the serotonin receptors in your brain. Psilocybin in “magic mushrooms” has been known to decrease anxiety and depression. Microdosing other drugs in small doses has been known to provide the same effect. In athletic circles it’s been known that certain psychedelics can increase your physical stamina.
How Can I Get Started with Microdosing?
Psychedelics should ALWAYS be approached with caution. We recommend a few resources to introduce you to these powerful tools.
Research heavily before embarking on this route, and always remember to ensure that you are getting a safe/high-quality product. It is also important to note that you should be in the right state of mind before taking any psychedelics, as they can, at times, bring out mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.
- Start out with a dose on the lower end. For LSD this can be 10ug-25ug (about 1/10th to 1/4th of a strip), for shrooms this can be around a quarter gram to a half gram.
- Follow your normal routine throughout the day. Do not be too concerned with the onset of the effects as it can sometimes take nearly 3 hours for the full effects to be felt (especially with LSD).
- Take no more than once every three days. This is due to the rapid-tolerance building effects that psychedelics such as LSD contain.
- Some fun/insightful activities while microdosing are meditation, yoga, listening to music, and exploring. Most any activity that you normally do when sober will typically be enhanced while under the effects of a microdose.
Not many in the public are aware of the cognitive benefit of microdosing psychedelics. Its no surprise since there’s such a negative perception or taboo against the idea of psychedelics offering any sort of benefit the human body.
In addition, pharmaceutical companies would suppress this information in order to offer doctor-prescribed drugs. Fact is, in studying the neurobiology of the mystical experience psychedelics offer benefits to the human body that need to be studied further.